Thursday, December 16, 2004

Persistence

It has been a while since the last post, but I have been keeping busy. I am working like crazy to finish the course in Computer Organization and ordered the books and software for courses in Visual Basic, Java, and Software Engineering. The Computer Organization course is great, because it gives an understanding (kind of) of how the computer works and what it actually does with the code after I write it. I really enjoy it, but even though Boolean logic is so simple that even the dumb machine can understand, it the symbols and the equations in Boolean algebra that it takes to dumb things down even more for the computer boggle the mind. I need to do a lot of example to get a good understanding.

I just found what looks like a lot of MSN groups that specialize in programming. It might be good to look at some of them as see how much is wheat and how much is chaff.

Meanwhile, I saw a good TV program on PBS YOU ("Your Online University" - Channel 129 on the local cable system) about Entrepreneurship (no guarantees I spelled it right). If I had known it was so good I would have recorded it. What I got out of it was that the number one quality of successful entrepreneurs is persistence. Therefore, I end with the following quote, which has been attributed to Calvin Coolidge:

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated failures. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, which means that I must approved them before they are posted. Although I intend to approve nearly all comments, I reserve the right not to approve any that are obscene, disrespectful, or try to exploit this site for other purposes.